I am starting my 4 month old on rice cereal do I put it in a bottle or spoon feed him?  he is formula feed .

Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Spoon

I spoon feed to teach the baby how to do it for the future.
Some babies have the coordination to do so, some do not. But it does not hurt.

In brief: Spoon

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Why either

Early feeding is a throwback to the years when mom's made their own marginal formula from cow milk.
It is not needed in the first year, but most begin the transition to solids when the kids can sit up, and the tongue thrust subsides, at about 6mo. When and if you start solids, you need to use a spoon.Solids are offered to teach a new method of feeding, not to fill some void in the babies nutrition.

In brief: Why either

Dr. Cindy Juster