Is my Mirena (levonorgestrel) effective while taking oxcarbazepine ? My doctor wouldn't answer this. I'm on 900 mg for bipolar. I don't want kids..

Dr. Jeffrey Juchau

In brief: Bipolar and Mirena (levonorgestrel)

Yes Oxcarbazepine may decrease the hormonal contraceptive levels decreasing the efficacy of your Mirena (levonorgestrel) IUD.
Not sure why your doctor would not answer this question. So, you need to use another form of birth control with your Mirena (levonorgestrel) when you have sex or have your psychiatrist make changes in your medications. Please do not make any changes on your own.

Dr. Jeffrey Juchau
Dr. Jeffrey Juchau
Dr. Carlos Barrios
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Less effective

Many studies have shown that the anti-epileptics (which as a group are used also to treat bipolar disorder, that and the second generation antipsychotics) do decrease effectiveness of oral contraceptives.
You should discuss this with either you prescribing psychiatrist, ob/gyn, or primary care physician. One of them should be able to speak to you about it. Take care.

In brief: Less effective

Dr. Carlos Barrios
Dr. Carlos Barrios
Dr. Jonathan Jassey