I was released from hospital 5 days ago with kidney stone. Was told 6mm. Been drinking lots of water. How much time is needed for stone to pass?

In brief: Depends

Spontaneous passage depends on size(diameter)of stone: Under 5mm:75%,5-7mm:60%,More than 7mm:under 40%.
I am sure you were told to strain your urine. If no passage in 2 weeks it is probably a good idea to intervene by your urologist. Also if pain control is a problem. Location of stone is also a factor.Follow your urologist's recommendation. Best wishes for you.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Michael Michaels
Dr. Michael Michaels
Dr. Harold Tsai
Urology

In brief: Kidney stone

IF you have never had or passed the stone there is no timetable.
First of all, there is about a 35 to 30% chance that you will pass a stone that is 6 mm. As long as your pain is tolerable, you can keep trying to pass the stone. IT can days to weeks

In brief: Kidney stone

Dr. Harold Tsai
Dr. Harold Tsai
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine