My baby has a dimple on the base of her spine that was there at birth. Can that be occult spina bifida?

Dr. Kevin Windisch

In brief: No

Spina bifida occulta is by definition occult, meaning there are no symptoms and is not a serious condition.
Depending on where the dimple is, this could represent other more serious spinal problems. See your doctor.

In brief: No

Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Kevin Windisch

In brief: Unlikely,but

The normal formation of the lower spine can include a small blind ended dimple.
If there were a hairy tuft or some worry that it went too deep or connected to the inside, an MRI under anesthesia could identify a problem. I have never found one that I wanted to go through this level of testing in more than 3 decades of practice, but I consider it.

In brief: Unlikely,but

Dr. Shontae Buffington