My doctor said I'm not supposed to take Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Motrin because of my recent IBS like symptoms. I'm having horrible period cramps. What can I take?

Dr. Michael Lee

In brief: Ibs and cramps

irritable bowel is usually treated with high fiber diet and lots of liquids.
Not sure why your doctor said no to tylenol (acetaminophen) or Motrin unless he gave you some other med for pain which might interact with the OTC pain meds. I would have to disagree with your doctor on that one and advise you to take an anti inflammatory drug like Motrin (but always with food to prevent an ulcer or upset stomach)

In brief: Ibs and cramps

Dr. Michael Lee
Dr. Michael Lee
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Consider Motrin

I agree with your doc that it's wise to not take Motrin regularly as it can irritate your GI tract, but taking a few doses for cramps should be OK.
In the future taking magnesium taurate or glycinate & fish oil can prevent cramps.Today a bath with epsom salts & acupressure may help. Herbs like cramp bark may also help. IBS is often caused by imbalances of GI flora & food intolerances.See comment:

In brief: Consider Motrin

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Homeopathy & acupuncture can help cramps too. See http://natural-fertility-info.com/painful-menstruation-natural-remedies.html For IBS get checked for SIBO ( see http://bit.ly/1kV7Nrn) & consider low FODMAPs diet - see http://abt.cm/16tmRIg
Dr. Olakitan Akinjagunla

In brief: Home remedies

Tylenol (acetaminophen) over the counter is not an absolute contraindication when you have ibs and your doctor might allow you to take some( be sure to call him/her) if your symptoms do not respond to home remedies such as heating pads,reducing sugar intake,eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetable,regular exercise and eliminate red meat and egg yolk(reintroduce later to see if your symptoms recur).

In brief: Home remedies

Dr. Olakitan Akinjagunla
Dr. Olakitan Akinjagunla
Dr. Carol Stauffer-munekata

In brief: Tylenol (acetaminophen) is OK

In general, Tylenol (acetaminophen) is safe and effective for cramps.
Do not take more than two regular strength tablets at a time, and do not take for longer than 3 days. Tylenol (acetaminophen) rarely increases IBS with short term use. If you are not having adequate pain control, contact your physician.

In brief: Tylenol (acetaminophen) is OK

Dr. Carol Stauffer-munekata
Dr. Carol Stauffer-munekata
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham