My 2yr old is in a small family daycare we love,. His language &social skills are advanced. Does he need preschool or can we wait until pre-k?

Dr. Tiffanie Noonan

In brief: Need? No...

It sounds like your son is in a loving environment.
Children his age (and older) learn through play and connection. He doesn't "need" preschool. Read to him, talk to him, explain things to him, and most of all have fun! I bet he is already getting those things at the family daycare. My vote - if you are happy where he is there is no need to change.

In brief: Need? No...

Dr. Tiffanie Noonan
Dr. Tiffanie Noonan
Dr. Sheldon Kaplan
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Precocious 2yr old

A child's development is so varied.
Physical, developmental, social, behavioral, and emotional milestones should be met at all ages and stages. If a child is advanced in the language and social areas, their developmental and emotional milestones may yet to be attained. Consider all of these areas when thinking about moving a child ahead before doing so.

In brief: Precocious 2yr old

A child's development is so varied.
Dr. Sheldon Kaplan
Dr. Sheldon Kaplan
Dr. Gloria Lopez

In brief: You can wait

He is still small, and the family daycare environment, where he can receive a more personalized attention is a good thing.
Make sure the caregivers have some kind of structure where there is opportunity for the children to engage in age appropriate games and learning activities, and that the use of electronic devises is kept to a minimum. He can go to a pre-K when he turns 4.

In brief: You can wait

Dr. Gloria Lopez
Dr. Gloria Lopez

In brief: Preschool

Research has shown that children that attend preschool are ahead of the pack at some point in school.
Children enroll in preschool after 2 yrs and 9 months old. So for now the 2 y/o should stay in the daycare until he/she turns at least 2 and 9 months.

In brief: Preschool

Dr. Larry Xanthopoulos
Dr. Larry Xanthopoulos
Dr. Brad Goldenberg

In brief: Is he happy ?

Preschool can be a great experience for your child if he is ready to socialize around other children.
As long as your child is enjoying the experience, pre-school can be a rich source of stimulation for his/her advanced skills. However, at 2 years old there are a lot of developmental tasks to master that may make pre-school a challenging and sometimes negative experience. Give it a try, and see!

In brief: Is he happy ?

Dr. Brad Goldenberg
Dr. Brad Goldenberg
Dr. Oscar Novick

In brief: Pre school

If you can s continue to stimulate him pre school won't be necessary

In brief: Pre school

Dr. Oscar Novick
Dr. Oscar Novick
Dr. Cindy Juster