What are refractive errors?

Focusing. Refractive errors are intrinsic poor focus of the eyes. It may mean your eyeball is too long or short or the lens or cornea are of inappropriate power. In most cases, glasses or contact lenses can correct the refractive error fully.
Vision correction. Refractive error means the image is not focused on the retina. Thus the eye needs something external like corrective lenses to cancel the poorly focused rays.
Astigmatism. 3 naturally occurring refractive errors. Myopia (nearsightedness) from an eye that is too long. Hyperopia (farsightedness) from an eye that is too short. Astigmatism, when the cornea on the front of the eye is steeply curved in one direction, like a football. This causes two points of focus in the eye.
Long or short eye. Refractive error means that light is not focused on the retina, but in front or behind it. Although it can be caused by a steep or flat cornea, it is typically caused by an eye that is too long or too short for the focusing power of the eye. It can usually be corrected with glasses or contacts.