What causes TSH fluctuations? Sometimes its normal and sometimes its high (7 or 4.5). My mom had thyroid cancer in her 30s. I also have anxiety.

In brief: ? early hypothyroid

Both the laboratory tests and the human body have some variability.
People do not generally have symptoms of hypothyroidism unless the TSH is above 10, so numbers that vary between 4.5 and 7 may indicate pre-clinical hypothyroidism or normal variation. Younger people tend to have TSH values more like 2, and values like 5-7 are normal in elderly. Your labs doNOT indicate Cancer, nor rule it out

In brief: ? early hypothyroid

Dr. Marsha Davis