What are maculopathy and macular dystrophy?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Macular definitions

Maculopathy is any disorder of the macular area.
The most common, age related macular degeneration is about 5% inherited and the rest age related. The macula can be disordered in diabetic retinopathy, serous retinopathy, macular holes and cysts as well as parasitic infections. Consult your ophthalmologist if you suspect a problem.

In brief: Macular definitions

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care

In brief: Age related vs hered

I am sorry i answered the next question on my smart phone - not very smart answer - excuse me.
(i deleted the previous answer - it was for the next question) maculopathy is age related vs macular dystrophy is hereditary. Maculopathy is a general term for any disease of the macula.

In brief: Age related vs hered

Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Peter Kurzweil