What works best to relieve the symptoms of eczema?

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology

In brief: Treat & Prevent

With all respect to the first responder, ultra-potent topical steroids are unnecessary in all but the most recalcitrant cases, in my experience.
My basic approach to eczema treatment is to find the cause, which is usually there if you look for it. If eliminating the cause is impossible, medium-strength topical steroids and other treatments achieve control in most cases.

In brief: Treat & Prevent

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Sarah Cueva

In brief: Comprehensive tx

Eczema is a chronic problem that gets better and worse.
The best treatment is a comprehensive, multi-faceted approach, including always moisturizing the skin multiple times a day, using steroid creams when the rash appears to calm inflammation, and oral anti-itching medicines to stop scratching. If any infection is present it should be treated with antibiotics as well.

In brief: Comprehensive tx

Dr. Sarah Cueva
Dr. Sarah Cueva
Dr. Francis Hsiao
Dermatology

In brief: Topical steroids ecz

For most people with mild to moderate eczema, application of ultra potent topical steroids for a short period of time can be very effective.
You should have a dermatologist confirm your skin condition first. He or she can then prescribe the ultra-potent topical steroids. Over the counter topical steroids are generally too weak for most eczema. You should also practice good skin care.

In brief: Topical steroids ecz

Dr. Francis Hsiao
Dr. Francis Hsiao