I have a lump about an inch from my knee cap on the inside of my knee that is painful.

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Varies

There are numerous possibilities.
It could be an inflamed area near what is known as your tibial tubercle. I would not hesitate to be seen and evaluated for it.

In brief: Varies

There are numerous possibilities.
Dr. Eric Kelts
Neurology

In brief: Varicose Vein?

Based upon your description, the most likely cause for your symptoms is a varicose vein, which is an enlarged vein that can sometimes become thrombosed (have a blood clot in it) and can become inflamed and rarely infected.
I would discuss this with your primary physician for additional recommendations and care, but also to rule out a deep venous thrombosis.

In brief: Varicose Vein?

Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine