Why do people feel tired or energetic, and how does it work? Like is it only melatonin and its receptor?

In brief: Myriad of reasons

Discovering the reason for a person being tired or fatigued is a complex process of medical detective work.
Sometimes we get lucky and the answer falls right out such as low functioning thyroid or severe anemia. Other times it's a combination of several things. You appear to have at least a good possible reason based on your condition of hypopit- I doubt it's JUST melatonin. What's your doc say?

In brief: Myriad of reasons

Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Dr. Adam Smith