The symptoms of bipolar disorder are happy and sad?

Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Bipolar

Symptoms are extreme variation of moods from manic/hypomanic with pressured speech/irritability/flight of ideas/lack of sleep, to depressed phase with anhedonia, sad affect, changes in sleep/appetite/energy level, and in both extremes tyhere is increase thoughts of self harm.

In brief: Bipolar

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. John Moranville

In brief: Partly

Yes extreme sadness is part of a depressive episode and a sense of overwhelming happiness may be a part of a manic episode, but manic depressive disorder or bipolar disorder is much more than just happy and sad.
See my virtual practice for my previous answers to questions about bipolar disorder.

In brief: Partly

Dr. John Moranville
Dr. John Moranville
Dr. Eric Weisman