If I have glaucoma, can I have laser eye surgery?

Dr. Robert Chang
Ophthalmology

Sometimes laser eye surgery can be used to treat various forms of glaucoma.
In terms of lasik, it's best to be checked out to see if a good candidate, but glaucoma is not an absolute contraindication.

Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Federico Mattioli
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: Possibly

Is this referring to laser vision correction? In lasik, pressure on the eye of a compromised optic nerve must be considered.
However, this pressure is very short in duration. Consider prk which does not apply any significant pressure to the eye. Also, nearsightedness laser treatments change the corneal thickness which can alter your glaucoma pressure reading at check ups and adjustments needed.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Federico Mattioli
Dr. Federico Mattioli
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery