Tobramycin side effects "prolonged or overuse can lead to eye problems such as fungal infections, risk of glaucoma and cataracts". Define prolonged?

Dr. Leila Hashemi

In brief: Tobramycine

Hi, the most common side effect of Tobra is kidney problems, hearing loss, and prolonged use could cause Clostridium Difficile infection, I'm not aware of any eye problems.

In brief: Tobramycine

Dr. Leila Hashemi
Dr. Leila Hashemi
Dr. Jon Fishburn
Ophthalmology

In brief: Do you mean...

Tobramycin, an antibiotic, is used to treat bacterial infections of the eye.
The risks using it do not involve fungal infections, glaucoma, or cataracts. You may be referring to TobraDex, (tobramycin and dexamethasone) which contains a steroid (dexamethasone) plus tobramycin. Steroids in general used too long, many months in most cases, can increase eye pressure (steroid glaucoma), accelerate cataract formation, & inc. Infectn.

In brief: Do you mean...

Dr. Jon Fishburn
Dr. Jon Fishburn