My dentist has pulled my abscessed tooth. Do I need totake antibiotics?

Dr. Stanley Lin
Dentistry

In brief: Ask your dentist

Every situation / patient is different, so you may need to ask your dentist.
Depending on the size of the infection and the condition of the tooth your dentist will determine if antibiotics are needed. In some cases, antibiotics are used prior to the extraction to reduce the infection because sometimes it is more difficult to get numb with an infection.

In brief: Ask your dentist

Dr. Stanley Lin
Dr. Stanley Lin
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dentistry - Pediatric

In brief: That depends

That depends on how big the abscess is.
Removing the tooth eliminates the source of the infection. If the abscess was confined just to the area under the tooth than no antibiotic is usually needed. If the abscess was deep and/or large then an antibiotic will help the body eliminate the remaining infection more effectively. The dentist who treated you should be able to offer you guidance.

In brief: That depends

That depends on how big the abscess is.
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Robert Tupac
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Not necessarily

Having the tooth pulled removes the source of the infection and usually allows your body to heal the rest.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Robert Tupac
Dr. Robert Tupac
Dr. Luis Villaplana

Yes, unless you already finished them.

Yes, unless you already finished them.
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Luis Villaplana