Has anyone studied the positives or negatives of spanking?

Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

Not recommended, especially as a regular form of punishement.
It suggests physical aggression is okay and becomes increasingly hard to use as children grow older. Non-physical consequences such as times out or loss of privileges have been shown both to be as or more effective and to produce much less strain on the parent/child relationship.

Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
I appreciate your comment. I agree that, at times, spanking may be useful; but, it is also easily overused and can lead to a cycle of anger and guilt in the parent that can be quite disruptive of the parent/child relatoinship. If a child "needs" spanking regularly, something is not working, and it's time to look to a better system.
Dr. Adam Smith