What is radicular pain?

Spinal nerve pain. Radicular pain refers to pain generated from an inflammation of a spinal nerve. Typically the pain occurs in specific part of the leg, both above and below the knee. The pain is a deep burning, tingling or shooting sensation that is present all the time. It can also occur in the arm (from cervical nerve root inflammation) or chest (from thoracic nerve pain).
Sciatica for instanc. Pain resulting from a spinal nerve root is radicular pain. If the nerve is also malfunctioning such that there is weakness or numbness, the condition is referred to as radiculopathy. The most common causes of radicular pain are disc herniation and spinal stenosis. The entire spine can be affected.