Chromium picolinate during pregnancy, what are the risks?

Dr. Charles Whiting

In brief: Not well studied

Chromium Picolinate use during pregnancy is not well studied.
It is most likely safe if not taken in high doses. High doses can cause liver or kidney damage or certain blood disorders in mom. I would recommend against taking it unless your Ob recommends using it and at what dose. Best wishes!

In brief: Not well studied

Dr. Charles Whiting
Dr. Charles Whiting
Dr. Per Freitag
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Take Folate (folic acid) instead

It is not known if chromium picolinate supplements (which contain high doses of chromium) are safe for use during pregnancy.
Taking chromium picolinate during pregnancy may cause free-radical damage to the DNA within the cells, which could be dangerous for an unborn child. If you are taking chromium picolinate and pregnancy occurs, you should talk to your healthcare provider about the risks and benefits of taking the supplement.

Dr. Per Freitag
Dr. Per Freitag
Dr. Douglas Lawson

In brief: Supplements

Lowering your blood sugar possibly to a level that isn't desired or safe.
While I have some overweight non pregnant patients using this supplement because they can't tolerate metformin, its not recommended in pregnancy. Supplement doses and additives aren't regulated by the FDA. In addition there isn't much information on safety of this supplement in pregnancy.

In brief: Supplements

Dr. Douglas Lawson
Dr. Douglas Lawson
Dr. Adam Levy