How do I take my glaucoma eye drops?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Eye drop administrat

It is important to understand that if a drop enters the eye space at any location, it will spread over the whole eye with the first blink.
You do not need to aim for the center or some special location. The blink removes any excess - drops are calibrated so that what is left after one blink is the proper amount for activity. Forget what rolled down your cheek.

In brief: Eye drop administrat

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
2 comments
Dr. Jennifer Lee
Only around 1/7th of an eye drop actually is absorbed by your eye. Don't worry if it seems like most of it comes out!
Dr. Michael Sayegh
It is also important to wait 5 minutes in between drops to maximize absorption
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Drop administration

Addendum to dr. Chung.
Drops like the prostaglandin inhibitors literally have a one month supply contained. If a patient administers two drops per administration, they will not have enough for the month and most insurances allow only one refill per month. My advice; carefully use only one drop as much as possible.

In brief: Drop administration

Addendum to dr. Chung.
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Moonyoung Chung
Ophthalmology

In brief: Glaucoma drops

Tilt your head back while seated or lay down.
Hold the bottle above your eye, approximately one inch, look up slightly and squeeze the bottle to release one or two drops into your eye. You will feel moisture in your eye.

In brief: Glaucoma drops

Dr. Moonyoung Chung
Dr. Moonyoung Chung
Dr. Robert Chang
Ophthalmology

In brief: Watch videos

There are several videos on youtube demonstrating proper and varying techniques for instilling eyedrops.
Best to steady yourself, let gravity help you, don't touch the bottle tip to the eye, and only let 1 drop come out since that is already plenty for the size of the tear lake. Close your eyes after to help the drop to absorb into the eye, and space drops apart.

In brief: Watch videos

Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Andrea Brand