Will amoxicillin work for an upper respiratory infection? Persistent cough over a week now with clear phlegm and wheezing. Take pro-air as needed.

In brief: Probably not

Antibiotics are to treat bacterial infections and do nothing for allergies or viruses If you are wheezing you should take the proair q 4 hours and see your doctor as you may need an ancillary agent such as an inhaled steroid to calm down the chest inflammation Also some forms of chest infection are not associated with fever so close f/u with your doctor is essential

In brief: Probably not

Dr. David Feig

In brief: Probably not

Upper respiratory infections are Viral in nature.
It is unlikely that amoxicillin would help, since that treats bacterial infections only. I would be concerned that you have asthma that is not properly treated. I would check with doctor about more pro-air or an inhaled steroid. If not improving consider getting a chest x-ray to rule out pneumonia.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Steven Seres