Is it okay to treat a severe vaginal yeast infection with only antifungal cream or should it be treated with both oral and cream?

Dr. Richard Valido

It is my bias that yeast vulvo/vaginitis is a local infection and is best treated and responds best to local therapy, i.
e. vaginal creams/suppositories. So yes, ok to treat only with cream.

Dr. Katharine Cox
Pediatrics - Emergency Medicine

In brief: Oral +/- cream

Diflucan (fluconazole) is quite effective for treating yeast infections and there is no mess.
Currently some doctors are recommending 2 doses 7 days apart. The cream can be applied topically to help with the burning and itching while the Diflucan (fluconazole) is working. Have cultures and a special swab for yeast if this is what you think it is.

In brief: Oral +/- cream

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Like I said
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology

In brief: OK

But oral is easier, faster, and often more effective.
Vaginal yeast will recolonize from the colon and will proliferate in the presence of antibiotics or poorly controlled diabetes. Often the cause is not apparent.

In brief: OK

Dr. Jane Van Dis