What is the best place in the world to have heart surgery?

Dr. Peter Kurzweil
In brief: There is no one best
It is a common belief that people have that if they are going to have a significant procedure done, then they will look on line, find the 'best' one, and won't give up until they get an appt with that doc in that hospital.
I have found, in general, that those are the worst scenarios. Find the heart surgeon that specializes in the particular heart procedure u need, and go where he/she recommends.

In brief: There is no one best
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
3 comments
Dr. Paul Carter
Dr. Kurzweil is giving wise counsel. However, I would not hesitate to compare the clinical outcomes between providers and hospitals in your area to determine which ones are providing the best quality care.
Dr. Barry Rosen
A great resource is the Society of ThoracIc Surgeons national database (www.sts.org). Objective quality data specific to any participating hospital will be found there.
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Stay local.
Thankfully, there are many outstanding cardiac surgeons in the us, which is why our quality outcomes are so high.
Faced with major surgery and rehab, you are much better off being close to home and family. The society of thoracic surgeons has a great quality database to compare participating surgical groups and hospitals (see link in "comments" section). Good luck!

In brief: Stay local.
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
http://www.sts.org/quality-research-patient-safety/sts-public-reporting-online
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery