I had hypersensitivity pneumonitis last june. Am I healthy now?

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology
In brief: Maybe
The rate of recurrence of hypersensitivty pneumonitis is very low unless you have repeat contact with the offending agent.
Some of these causes include exposures to: •bird droppings •humidifiers, heating systems, and hot tubs •liquid chemicals used in the landscaping and florist industries •moldy hay, straw, and grain •chemicals released during the production of plastics and electronics, and chem.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Srinivas Mummadi
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology
In brief: Repeat PFT
I agree with the above md's.
Acute hypersensitivity pneumonitis after treating with a regimen of steroids and avoiding exposure to the culprit agent should be monitored with pulmonary function testing ( spirometry, lung volumes and dlco ). If the pft's ( tests above ) show an improved/stable pattern it is likely the disease has been stopped in its tracks. Avoid exposure to the offending agent.

In brief: Repeat PFT
I agree with the above md's.
Dr. Srinivas Mummadi
Dr. Srinivas Mummadi
Dr. Peter Kurzweil