Can amitriptyline be replaced by trazodone?

In brief: Possibly

Depending upon the indications, trazadone could be used for similar conditions as amitryptiline, and likely have fewer side effects.

In brief: Possibly

In brief: For what?

As a sleep agent? Trazodone is not MY favorite drug for just about anything.
....don't get me wrong....it's not an evil drug....but it's not particularly clean in its side effects. Notorious for causing terrible headaches, makes some people blithering idiots the next morning, and reacts with a lot of stuff. If amitriptyline is giving you too many side effects how about nortriptyline?

In brief: For what?

Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Dr. Eric Weisman