What is bacterial keratitis (corneal ulcer)?

Corneal infection. The cornea is the clear window in the front of your eye. Your tears and the surface cells of the cornea, or epithelium, normally protect the cornea from infection. When these protective layers are compromised, bacteria can enter the stroma, or core layer of the cornea, and cause vision-threatening infection. Commonest cause: misuse of soft contact lenses (poor care hygiene, overwear).
Surface defect. A corneal ulcer is a loss of the surface layer of the cornea (epithelium) usually with an underlying infection. There are "sterile" ulcers in which an infection is not present.
Infection. Bacterial keratitis is a corneal infection caused by bacteria. These are usually related to contact lenses or trauma or immuno supression. There infections are very serious as they can progress rapidly, cause central scarring and vision loss, and lead to corneal perforation requiring emergency surgery for a ruptured globe. Corneal cultures and fortified antibiotics may be needed.
Abcess in clear area. The cornea is usually clear and when you get a bacterial infection there, the area becomes cloudy due to white blood cells migrating in to attack the bacteria and clean up the mess.
An infection. This is an infection that occurs on the surface of the cornea. It is usually treated with antibiotics. If severe this can lead to scarring and reduced vision.