Is psychotherapy a realistic treatment for chronic alcoholism?

Dr. Emily Massey
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Treat Alcoholism

Definitely. I would recommend a cognitive-behavioral therapist (cbt) who specializes in substance abuse and is familiar with motivational interviewing.
This treatment is the most research-supported. However, initial detoxification in a hospital may be necessary (to prevent life-threatening withdrawal symptoms) and the person should seek an evaluation for this as a first step.

In brief: Treat Alcoholism

Dr. Emily Massey
Dr. Emily Massey
Dr. Kevin Nasky

It most certainly is, and in my opinion is underutilized in a substance treatment culture that i believe is over-dominated by the 12-step model.
People with alcoholism are not a homogenous group. The reasons people drink too much are too numerous to count, and the paths to wellness (not even sobriety, necessarily) are equally numerous, and are as varied as the people who struggle with alcohol.

Dr. Kevin Nasky
Dr. Kevin Nasky
Dr. Chris Esguerra

In brief: Motivational int

The specific type of therapy that has proven quite effective for alcoholism or alcohol dependence is called motivational interviewing, which identifies a person's stage of change and works with them to facilitate behavioral change.
Abstinence and aa like programs are also helpful. There are also medications that can help reduce cravings.

In brief: Motivational int

Dr. Chris Esguerra
Dr. Chris Esguerra
Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Alcoholism

In my experience combining individual or group therapy with aa is a very effective combination of modalities that can lead to sobriety.
Best.

In brief: Alcoholism

Best.
Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli
Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli