Would a normal d dimer rule out DVT or pulmonary embolism?

For the most part. The d-dimer test is nonspecific to blood clots and can be elevated for other reasons however it is almost always elevated with acute (new) blood clots. If a person has risk factors (smoking, immobility, obesity, recent orthopedic surgery, cancer) and symptoms, an ultrasound should be ordered regardless of the d-dimer. In a low-risk patient a negative d-dimer effectively rules out acute DVT/PE.
Dvt. with a normal d-dimer, there is a very low probability of any clot formation.
Usually. No test is perfect, but a d-dimer is very good at ruling out a DVT and pulmonary embolism. If you have actually been seen by a doctor and had a normal d-dimer, you can be very confident that you do not have a clot in your leg or lung causing your symptoms.
Ddimer. would not totally exclude dvt or pe other testing would be needed.