How do I breakup with a clinging vine?

Dr. Anthony Vertino
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Detach

I would recommend working with a Psychologist on how to detach from this relationship.
There may be some ways of interacting that actually make the situation more clingy.

In brief: Detach

Dr. Anthony Vertino
Dr. Anthony Vertino
Dr. Linda Gromko

In brief: What's worse?

Probably, the only thing worse than breaking up with a clinging vine is not breaking up with a clinging vine! not all relationships are going to be perfect.
Do the best you can to be frank, but kind. Ask yourself, "what will it be like in 5 years if i stay with this person?" don't stay in a bad relationship because you are afraid to get out. Get some counseling help if you need support. Good luck.

In brief: What's worse?

Dr. Linda Gromko
Dr. Linda Gromko

In brief: Kindly but firmly

...And quickly. If this feels too difficult, speak to a trusted counselor first.
Your md should be able to refer you. Once you understand how to do it and why that's the way, then you can proceed without a damaging entanglement that repeats the very problem you are seeking to resolve.

In brief: Kindly but firmly

Dr. Jeffrey Satinover
Dr. Jeffrey Satinover