How would a doctor check for bleeding ulcer?

EGD. . Looking in the stomach with a scope is the best way to diagnose an ulcer. This is called an egd ( or esophagogastroduodenoscopy). And now you know why we call it an egd.
Upper endoscopy. An upper endoscopy (an egd) is the best test for detecting and treating an bleeding ulcer and ruling out gastric cancer. Pictures would be taken as well as biopsies to check for abnormal cells and h-pylori bacteria. The treatment may be >8 weeks of ppi medication (like Omeprazole or others). If h-pylori was present you would also need antibiotics for 10-14 days.