If I have a positive PPD test but show no symptoms or anything of TB am I contagious to others? Or is only active TB disease contagious

Dr. Carla L. King

In brief: Only active TB

A Positive PPD just means that you have been exposed to Tuberculosis.
This is not always indicative of active disease. We considered active disease when the TB infection is in your lungs which causes severe cough, coughing up blood, night sweats, etc. Your doctor should order a chest xray to go along with your +PPD reading. This will insure that you are free from active disease.

In brief: Only active TB

Dr. Carla L. King
Dr. Carla L. King
Dr. Satish Sundar

In brief: Need Evaluation

Typically positive PPD demoted primary complex disease.
This is usually not contagious Per standards a chest xray is mandatory, to determine status. Prophylaxis/Rx with INH is needed. Call you doctor for all this since it is standard practice.

In brief: Need Evaluation

Dr. Satish Sundar
Dr. Satish Sundar
Dr. Shontae Buffington