I was told I had barretts esophagus and now its cancer. What is treatment?

Dr. David Cooke
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Depends on stage

For stage i-iia esophageal cancer, upfront therapy is surgery or esophagectomy.
For stage iib or iii therapy is either chemoradiation followed by surgery or chemoradiation alone. For stage iv, treatment is chemotherapy +/- irradiation.

In brief: Depends on stage

Dr. David Cooke
Dr. David Cooke
Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology

In brief: Probably surgery.

Barretts esophagus is a precursor to adenocarcinoma of the esophagus.
Treatment is chiefly with surgery. Curative resection is rarely possible, with <20% 5-year survival in patients with resectable tumors. Palliative measures include laser ablation, mechanical dilatation, radiotherapy, and luminal (phenobarbital) prosthesis to bypass the tumor. Gastrostomy and jejunostomy are done for nutritional support.

In brief: Probably surgery.

Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Peter Kurzweil