During my tubal ligation, my ob/gyn used a surgical instrument that is contraindicated for tubal sterilization. Is that ok to do?

Get second opinion. this story sounds incorrect. tubal ligation done properly is a very easy procedure and it is unusual that mistakes are made like this. the consequences of mistakes, like unintended pregnancy make doctors pretty careful about this stuff. get the operative report and review it with another gyn surgeon to put your mind at ease.
No specifics? You provide no specifics? The name of the instrument? If you have any damage it surgery failure? Perhaps your question is best answered by an ethical attorney.