Multiple sclerosis and avonex (interferon beta 1a) and side effects?

MS and AVONEX (interferon beta 1a) Avonex (interferon beta 1a) is often prescribed for ms. Side effects are mild1 flu like symptoms, headache and muscle pain are the most common side effects of avonex2 it can causeabdominal pain, toothache and dizziness most of the side effects are mild and do not need any treatment or can be treated easily. 3 unusual bruising or bleeding or frequent infections or chest pain can be serious and seek medical help asap.
My personal opinion. I do NOT recommend Avonex (interferon beta 1a) for any of my MS pts these days, due to fact that it is the least effective medication on the market. Side effects include injection reactions, flu-like sequeli, depression, liver abnormalities, thyroid problems, neutralizing antibodies. We have so many better agents available, including 3 oral agents, that I cannot endorse it.
Yes. I have found that many who take avonex, do experience side affects; this is more than the high dose, high frequency interferons Betaseron (interferon beta 1b) and rebif.