Whenever I over work my hand like using a hammer for a couple of minutes or grabbing something I have a pain sort of like cramp palm side all around thum?

Dr. Bac Nguyen

In brief: Carpal tunnel or...

It is possible that you may have carpal tunnel syndrome or early arthritis at the base of the thumb.
It's also very possible that muscle fatigue because you normally don't use that muscle much and suddenly you force that muscle into working hard, it can be easily fatigued due to lack of conditioning. If resting quickly resolves the symptom, likely muscle fatigue. If worsens, consult doc. Good luck.

In brief: Carpal tunnel or...

Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Nerve or tendon

Younmaynbe experiencing a nerve compression syndrome or tendon inflammation from your description.
Rest the area for week or two and if it persists, discuss with a hand surgeon.

In brief: Nerve or tendon

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik