I fell down the stairs 3 months ago & my shin is still tender and bruised and bumpy. Why is it still like this?

Dr. Tara Passow
Dermatology

In brief: Bone close to surfac

I'm assuming you bumped your shin on a stair edge during the fall.
There was likely some deep bruising, possibly even a hematoma, kind of like a pool of blood deeper in the tissue than an ordinary bruise. Hematomas can take a long time to go away. There may also be inflammation which can take a long time to resolve.

In brief: Bone close to surfac

Dr. Tara Passow
Dr. Tara Passow
Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Periosteal pain

You likely injured the covering of the bone called the periosteum. It can remain tender for months, and become nodular after an injury.
Gentle massage, and warm compresses may help.

In brief: Periosteal pain

Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Dr. Kenneth Tepper