I've been taking ibuprofen every 3-4 hours for pain after wisdom teeth extraction. can I switch to Aleve (naproxen) now I took the last dose about 4 hours ago?

Dr. Laura Anissian

In brief: No

Ibuprofen dose interval is every 6-8 hours.
I would wait 8 hours if you can then change to Aleve. You can alternate with tylenol (acetaminophen) if no liver issues to get more pain relief. Do not take Aleve and Advil - chose one or the other.

In brief: No

Dr. Laura Anissian
Dr. Laura Anissian
Dr. Jeffrey Proudfoot
Emergency Medicine

In brief: No

minimum dosing interval (time between doses) is 6 hours for ibuprofen and 12 for aleve (naproxen).
Also total max daily dose for ibuprofen is 2400 mg and 1000-1100mg for naprosyn(aleve (naproxen)) in otherwise healthy person without significant medical problems (heart/kidney disease)

In brief: No

Dr. Jeffrey Proudfoot
Dr. Jeffrey Proudfoot
Dr. Vikram Patel