I have pain on my tounge feels like a sore throat but when I put my finger on the back of my mouth on the tounge there are bumps that hurt what is it?

Dr. Gregory Politzer

In brief: Taste buds

If you are feeling bumps on your tongue that are sore to touch, these are likely inflamed taste buds.
That can happen when you have a throat infection or head cold. As you get better, the swelling in the taste buds should resolve. If you see white in the back of your throat, have swollen painful bumps in your neck or get fever, you should see your local doctor.

In brief: Taste buds

Dr. Maureen Ziboh

In brief: Depends on if new

Could represent an acute viral or bacterial process.
It is acute that would be the case. If longer like greater than 6 weeks, it could be related to reflux. See your doctor.

In brief: Depends on if new

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine