Is ortho tri-cyclen a good medication for acne managment along with retin gel?

It can be. Retin A is usually an effective topical treatment for acne. Many girls/women also take birth control pills, such as Ortho Tri Cyclen, (ethinyl estradiol and norgestimate) which can also help to control acne.
Acne treatment. Acne treatment is not straight forward. Retin A (tretinoin) is vitamin A and its used to help exfoliate the skin. It doesn't treat acne. Acne is due to an increase in andro-hormones. Frequently young women are placed on birth control for Acne without any history of "hormonal Acne". Acne may worsen on birth control. Some hormonal acne responds well to spironolactone. The blocked glands may need to be cleared.