I have been coughing up blood with phlegm every morning and is normal through out the day. I have sinusitis and cold infection now. What's happening?

Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Hemoptysis...

Coughing up blood, called hemoptysis, is a symptom that always needs to be evaluated by a doctor. The most common cause is acute bronchitis, an infection of the airways.
This is easily treated once the etiology of the infection is determined. However, malignancy can also cause hemoptysis so your doctor needs to rule this out, especially in a smoker. See your doctor for diagnosis and treatment.

In brief: Hemoptysis...

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology