I had 3 steroid shots in my back but didn't do any good, but my heart doctor told me that I shoudn't get another shot in my back.

Dr. Margaret Gourlay

In brief: Steroid shots

Your heart doctor gave you good advice.
A new study published in July 2014 suggested that steroid shots may not offer much long-term benefit for patients with back pain from spinal stenosis. This raises concern for use of steroid shots for any type of back pain. More generally, if you have tried any therapy 3 times without relief, it is unlikely to work the 4th time.

In brief: Steroid shots

Your heart doctor gave you good advice.
Dr. Margaret Gourlay
Dr. Margaret Gourlay
Dr. Margaret Gourlay

In brief: Steroid shots

Your heart doctor gave you good advice.
A new study published in July 2014 suggested that steroid shots may not offer much long-term benefit for patients with back pain from spinal stenosis. This raises concern for steroid shots for any type of back pain. More generally, if you have tried any therapy 3 times without relief, it is unlikely to work the 4th time.

In brief: Steroid shots

Your heart doctor gave you good advice.
Dr. Margaret Gourlay
Dr. Margaret Gourlay
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine