Hi, i'm taking Coumadin (warfarin) for my dvt. I don't want 2 take norcotic drug is there an option, it's now 7wks n my right leg still swollen, pain is now less?

Dr. Ted King
Phlebology

In brief: Using compression?

It is essential that compression stockings be worn after a dvt.
They help the swelling and pain. More important, they cut your risk of developing post thrombotic syndrome--a complication you don't want to have. You need to use knee high compression stockings, 30-40 mm hg, daily for at least two years after your dvt.

In brief: Using compression?

Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ankush Bansal

In brief: See below

If you don't have pain, stop the narcotics.
They won't help with swelling. For that, you can use ibuprofen. However, if there's still a lot of swelling, see your doctor. It should be significantly better after 7 weeks. Is your inr at goal?

In brief: See below

Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology