My 15 month old choked on water 3 times in the bath tub while trying to drink the water. Could he be at risk for dry drowning? This was 40 minutes ago

Dr. Jason Adler
Pediatrics - Critical Care

In brief: Dry drowning

The entity of dry drowning is not something that has been reliably verified as a clinical entity.
If your child choked on water in the bath tub while trying to drink it but did not suffer a pronged period of submersion, loss of consciousness, loss of respiratory effort or loss of pulse, and is not having trouble breathing currently, then it is unlikely to lead to adverse problems.

In brief: Dry drowning

Dr. Jason Adler
Dr. Jason Adler
Dr. Nela Cordero

In brief: DROWNING?

Why would you put your 15 month old in the bath tub to drink water? I know of some babies drowing in the tub due to neglect! please don't jopardized baby by letting him drink water and choke in the tub.
Thanks!

In brief: DROWNING?

Thanks!
Dr. Nela Cordero
Dr. Nela Cordero