I live in the mid-atlantic (md) and take pulmoicort for asthma prn. I've felt very sob in the am & pm. Should I take my inhaler daily? Will it help?

Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Take regularly...

Steroid inhalers, like pulmicort, are used in asthma to reduce airway inflammation.
Unfortunately, it needs to be taken regularly to have this effect. You should not be taking it just when you are having asthma exacerbation symptoms as it does not work quickly enough. You need to use a bronchodilator, like albuterol, when you are having acute symptoms.

In brief: Take regularly...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
2 comments
Dr. Pierrette Mimi Poinsett
Having a writtten Asthma Action Plan can help- talk with your doctor about putting one together. American Lung Association can show you examples.
Dr. Michael H. T. Sia
Always have a controller-maintance med like pulmicort and rescue/quick relief med like albuterol and an Asthma Action Plan!
Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice

In brief: Pulmicort =USE DAILY

Pulmicort (budesonide) is a asthma 'controller' cortico-steroid inhaler and works best when taken everyday.
Controller inhalers are not for prn (as needed) use. Budesonide is used to prevent wheezing, shortness of breath, and troubled breathing caused by severe asthma and other lung diseasesalbuterol (ventolin, proair, proventil) are for prn use and work fast when asthma symtoms flair.

In brief: Pulmicort =USE DAILY

Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Shontae Buffington