Do I have to avoid all activity after cataract surgery?

Dr. Robert Chang
Ophthalmology

In brief: No

Sometimes avoiding getting the eye wet and avoiding heavy lifting and eye rubbing is advocated, especially in sutureless cataract surgery.
Usually nonvigorous activity is ok.

In brief: No

Usually nonvigorous activity is ok.
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Paul Holmwood
Ophthalmology

In brief: No

After doing topical (no shot) anesthesia and suture less cataract surgery for the last 15 years, I have placed no physical restrictions on my post operative cataract patients except for no vigorous rubbing of the eye and no swimming for one week.
Bending, lifting, straining etc are ok and I have seen not a single mishap with this approach.

In brief: No

Dr. Paul Holmwood
Dr. Paul Holmwood
Dr. Clement Cheng
Ophthalmology

In brief: No

There are a few restrictions after cataract surgery including limiting water into the eye, limiting lifting heavy weights, and avoiding activity with a higher probability of eye injury (ie boxing).
Normal activity and light exercise are usually well tolerated.

In brief: No

Dr. Clement Cheng
Dr. Clement Cheng
Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: No

No. Light activity is fine.
I tell my patients to avoid heavy lifting, strenuous activity, and bending where their head goes below their waist for 2 weeks.

In brief: No

No. Light activity is fine.
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Beth Friedland
Ophthalmology

In brief: No, not really

I ususally limit bending and lifting over 15 pounds for the first 5-7 days, but patients can drive, walk, jog, play golf within 24 hours of surgery.

In brief: No, not really

Dr. Beth Friedland
Dr. Beth Friedland
Dr. Renee Bovelle
You should also avoid swimming for the first week.
Dr. Christopher Hood
Ophthalmology

In brief: Minimal for 24 hrs

Take is easy for 24 hours after cataract surgery.
Your surgeon will see you the day after surgery to advise you further. After 1 week, the eye is usually healed enough that almost all activities can be resumed.

In brief: Minimal for 24 hrs

Dr. Christopher Hood
Dr. Christopher Hood
Dr. Harvey Fishman
Ophthalmology

In brief: Avoid h2o submersion

Water submersion should be avoided.
Pools hot tubs and and tap water are contaminated with low levels of bacteria and even amoeba. The corneal wound can actually draw these pathogens into the eye initially after surgery and possibly even days afterwards. Speak with your doctor about when to resume these activities.

In brief: Avoid h2o submersion

Water submersion should be avoided.
Dr. Harvey Fishman
Dr. Harvey Fishman
Dr. William Goldstein
Ophthalmology

In brief: Minimal restrictions

Patients generally need to avoid heavy lifting (more than 20-25 lbs) for about a week, and keep water and debris out of their eyes.
Many patients are back on the golf course or at work within a couple of days. More info about cataract surgery: cataract surgery in detroit.

In brief: Minimal restrictions

Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. John Jarstad
Ophthalmology

In brief: Not always

It depends on the type of cataract surgery.
We do suture less micro incision cataract surgery with a 1.5mm to 2.0mm incision which is self sealing. We have had patient ski the next day afterward and even fall head first without any complication, however as a general rule we advise our patients to remain close by for a week following surgery and no swimming diving or gardening for one week.

In brief: Not always

Dr. John Jarstad
Dr. John Jarstad
Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology

In brief: Do not rub

No. Do not bump or rub the eye, or do anything that could cause you to bump / hit the eye, even with the eyelids closed.
Do not submerge the eye under water. You can return to normal daily life; driving (the next day), golf, tennis (with protective eye wear), shopping, cooking, etc.

In brief: Do not rub

Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology

In brief: No

With my surgery, for the past 14 years, I have only had my patients not bump or rub (direct contact to eyeball or through eyelid) their eyes or submerge it under water. They wear a shield when sleeping for 3-4 days after the surgery, to avoid inadvertently rubbing during sleep.
They can return to normal activities unless it will involve bumping, rubbing, or submerging the eyes.

In brief: No

Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. John Jarstad
Ophthalmology

In brief: It's best as a rule

Avoiding activities following cataract surgery is advisable for two reasons: 1.
You've just had major eye surgery and likely taken a sedative or given drugs and they will take some time to wear off so you should not drive "under the influence" for a day or two. 2. You should avoid intense reading or computer work so your eye has a day or two to heal. I've had patients go right to work-don't adviz.

In brief: It's best as a rule

Dr. John Jarstad
Dr. John Jarstad
Dr. William Goldstein
Ophthalmology

In brief: Nope

Most patients return to nearly full activities within a day or so.
Especially with the smaller, no-stitch incisions. Patients may be seen on the golf course the next day...As long as they don't carry their own clubs!

In brief: Nope

Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. Ankush Bansal

In brief: No

For a brief time after surgery, you should avoid strenuous activity or whatever your ophthalmologist recommends.
However, afterwards (and even right after), you don't need to avoid all activity. You should be able to do your normal activities from before your cataracts became serious enough to require surgery. Just monitor your health as usual, e.g., blood pressure.

In brief: No

Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Ankush Bansal