Do I have to avoid all activity after cataract surgery?

No. Sometimes avoiding getting the eye wet and avoiding heavy lifting and eye rubbing is advocated, especially in sutureless cataract surgery. Usually nonvigorous activity is ok.
No. After doing topical (no shot) anesthesia and suture less cataract surgery for the last 15 years, I have placed no physical restrictions on my post operative cataract patients except for no vigorous rubbing of the eye and no swimming for one week. Bending, lifting, straining etc are ok and I have seen not a single mishap with this approach.
No. There are a few restrictions after cataract surgery including limiting water into the eye, limiting lifting heavy weights, and avoiding activity with a higher probability of eye injury (ie boxing). Normal activity and light exercise are usually well tolerated.
No. No. Light activity is fine. I tell my patients to avoid heavy lifting, strenuous activity, and bending where their head goes below their waist for 2 weeks.
No, not really. I ususally limit bending and lifting over 15 pounds for the first 5-7 days, but patients can drive, walk, jog, play golf within 24 hours of surgery.
Minimal for 24 hrs. Take is easy for 24 hours after cataract surgery. Your surgeon will see you the day after surgery to advise you further. After 1 week, the eye is usually healed enough that almost all activities can be resumed.
Avoid h2o submersion. Water submersion should be avoided. Pools hot tubs and and tap water are contaminated with low levels of bacteria and even amoeba. The corneal wound can actually draw these pathogens into the eye initially after surgery and possibly even days afterwards. Speak with your doctor about when to resume these activities.
Minimal restrictions. Patients generally need to avoid heavy lifting (more than 20-25 lbs) for about a week, and keep water and debris out of their eyes. Many patients are back on the golf course or at work within a couple of days. More info about cataract surgery: cataract surgery in detroit.
Not always. It depends on the type of cataract surgery. We do suture less micro incision cataract surgery with a 1.5mm to 2.0mm incision which is self sealing. We have had patient ski the next day afterward and even fall head first without any complication, however as a general rule we advise our patients to remain close by for a week following surgery and no swimming diving or gardening for one week.
Do not rub. No. Do not bump or rub the eye, or do anything that could cause you to bump / hit the eye, even with the eyelids closed. Do not submerge the eye under water. You can return to normal daily life; driving (the next day), golf, tennis (with protective eye wear), shopping, cooking, etc.
No. With my surgery, for the past 14 years, I have only had my patients not bump or rub (direct contact to eyeball or through eyelid) their eyes or submerge it under water. They wear a shield when sleeping for 3-4 days after the surgery, to avoid inadvertently rubbing during sleep. They can return to normal activities unless it will involve bumping, rubbing, or submerging the eyes.
It's best as a rule. Avoiding activities following cataract surgery is advisable for two reasons: 1. You've just had major eye surgery and likely taken a sedative or given drugs and they will take some time to wear off so you should not drive "under the influence" for a day or two. 2. You should avoid intense reading or computer work so your eye has a day or two to heal. I've had patients go right to work-don't adviz.
Nope. Most patients return to nearly full activities within a day or so. Especially with the smaller, no-stitch incisions. Patients may be seen on the golf course the next day...As long as they don't carry their own clubs!
No. For a brief time after surgery, you should avoid strenuous activity or whatever your ophthalmologist recommends. However, afterwards (and even right after), you don't need to avoid all activity. You should be able to do your normal activities from before your cataracts became serious enough to require surgery. Just monitor your health as usual, e.g., blood pressure.