My boyfriend said it was bad for me to be around my at while pregnant. I thought only the cat litter was bad. Is the cat also bad for my baby?

Dr. Michio Abe
In brief: Cat & pregnancy
The reason the cat litter can be bad is because of the potential transmission of toxoplasmosis, an infectious disease that can result in miscarriage.
Yes, cats can be carriers. Simply having a cat while pregnant is not likely to give you toxoplasmosis. You could get it by coming in contact with infected cat feces. But humans most commonly contract toxoplasmosis by eating undercooked meat.

In brief: Cat & pregnancy
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Jonathan Jassey