I've been holding my breath while being around strong smells to the point that I could not hold it any longer have I caused damage to my unborn baby?

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine
In brief: No
Unless you are holding your breath for unusually long times (like 4 minutes) it's unlikely your blood oxygen levels are getting dangerously low & even so it would be for such a short time that i doubt it could damage your baby.
If the smells are due to toxic chemicals (like those in perfumes/ new paint/ new carpet/ tobacco smoke/plastics) you are doing your baby a favor by avoiding these exposures.

In brief: No
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Cindy Juster