How can you injure your sciatic nerve?

Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice
In brief: USUALLY disc disease
The sciatic nerve can 'get pinched' by a bulging disc in the low back.
The mechanism of injury for bulging disc is usually some type of lifting injury with 'bent over posture' or twisting. I had a patient 'sneeze so hard' he developed a completely weak leg and had surgery the same day. Usually in men, another cause of sciatic compression is sitting on a wallet causing pain 'down the leg!'.

In brief: USUALLY disc disease
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
In brief: Sitting too long
Sitting too long in a slouched position can cause impingement to the sciatic nerve.
Lifting heavy load with improper body mechanics and technique can also cause injury to the sciatic nerve. Accidental needle injury from injections can cause it. Hematomas can also put pressure on the sciatic nerve and injure it.

In brief: Sitting too long
Dr. Jullius Ancheta
Dr. Jullius Ancheta