What is the best food allergy test?

Dr. Justin Greiwe
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Skin Prick Testing
Food allergies are diagnosed first by getting a detailed clinical history of reaction.
If history is concerning then skin prick testing and/or serum IgE testing to concerning foods will be drawn. Skin prick testing usually done first followed by serum testing to follow sensitivity over time. Prick to prick testing with actual food is also helpful to help clarify risk. See Allergist for details.

In brief: Skin Prick Testing
Dr. Justin Greiwe
Dr. Justin Greiwe
Dr. John Chiu
Agree that PST remains the best but blood test may a complementary in making a diagnosis. Best test is double-blind food challenge test. Unfortunately commercial food allergen extract for skin testing is unstandardized and thus test result is far from perfect.
Dr. Yash Khanna
In brief: Best test food aller
There is no best test for food allergy in my humble opinion, and I am not an allergist.
But having said that to diagnose food allergy, you need to take detailed history of suspected foods by parents keeping a food diary to narrow down the food which are symptomatic , skin testing and/or blood test to check the ige antibodies to those foods.Positive skin reaction or blood test alone is not good enough.

In brief: Best test food aller
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Marsha Davis