Will my medical problems prevent me from undergoing cataract surgery safely?

Unlikely. Because cataract surgery is done with local sedation and not general anethesia most people are healthy enough to undergo the procedure. That being said most surgeons will require that you get medical clearence from your pcp first.
Not usually. Cataract surgery is the most commonly performed operation in the world. It is also one of the safest procedures. It is quick and requires minimal anesthesia, making it safe for all but the most ill patients. You must always weigh your other medical conditions against the benefits of the procedure, but even those with heart and lung conditions can usually safely undergo cataract surgery.
Almost never. With the advent of micro incision cataract surgery (mics), there are fewer and fewer contraindications for cataract surgery. We have even operated on patients with an implanted defibrillator, a heart transplant, a ventricular assist device and many other complex medical conditions at our center in federal way, wa. If in doubt check with your ophthalmologist and your internist or heart doctor.
See PCP. Most eye surgeons require an evaluation by your primary care doctor to determine if you are healthy enough to undergo cataract surgery.
Unlikely. The vast majority of patients have a safe, uncomplicated cataract surgery. Some risks (having to sit up for surgery, unable to stay still requiring general anesthesia [but then having risk for general anesthesia: heart, lung issues]) can increase risks of needs a 2nd surgery or complication, though these are rare in patients who have early-moderate density cataracts: eyedoc2020@blogspot. Com.
Not usually. Most patients can undergo cataract surgery without a problem. If you have severe underlying medical problems, you may need to see your regular doctor to minimize your risk of health issues.
Depends. Usually cataract surgery is performed under local anesthesia, so is "lower risk" in terms of medical problems affecting the surgery. Even high risk patients in the ICU can be done. A preoperative evaluation with your primary care doctor and anesthesiologist will help to see if there are any medical problems preventing safe cataract surgery.